For the past 45 years, TVO has built a trusted reputation as the technological extension of Ontario’s public education system. Today, TVO’s learning content reaches millions of Ontarians in classrooms, on television, online and on mobile devices.
TVO leads the way by developing innovative learning experiences, supporting success for students, and increasing citizen engagement for all Ontarians.
TVO is implementing an ambitious five-year plan that began in 2013-2014.
Our plan outlines our key strategies, which are to:
- Be the Government of Ontario’s partner for digital learning inside and outside the classroom;
- Be the digital public space for Ontario-perspective in-depth current affairs; and
- Empower our employees to thrive in an organization that embraces continual change.
We do this by focusing on our strengths:
- Innovative educational products;
- In-depth current affairs;
- Groundbreaking documentaries; and
- Award-winning TVOKids content.
We expect the highest standards in everything that we do. TVO’s Educational Blueprint (PDF) provides rigour in the development of digital learning products and services, and TVO’s Journalistic Standards promise editorial integrity, independence, quality and diversity in all current affairs analysis and documentary content.
To learn more about TVO’s corporate reporting, visit the open data section of our website.
TVO is building a values-based culture of innovation, empowering team members to deliver on TVO’s strategy and thrive in an organization that embraces continual change.
Excellence & Innovation - Excellence is continually striving to achieve better while taking risks, experimenting and learning from each other; all to the benefit of the citizens of Ontario.
Collaboration - Collaborative learning creates a momentum that helps us learn and achieve our goals.
Ownership - We understand the importance of our individual efforts and are accountable for our own actions.
Respect – Learning is built on a foundation of respect. We treat each other fairly and encourage diversity of ideas.
Trust - We believe in and rely on ourselves and on each other.
Making an Impact
TVO delivers impact with high-quality learning content that reaches millions of Ontarians in classrooms, on television, online and on mobile devices.
Here are just some of the ways that TVO is making an impact in Ontarians' lives:
- Students who use TVO’s Homework Help demonstrate improved EQAO math results. (Source: Ontario Ministry of Education)
- TVO produces more than 500 interviews and debates from an Ontario perspective every year.
- TVO is the “most trusted” and “most educational” media brand for children among Ontarians. (Source: Vision Critical, 2014)
- Steve Paikin is the top Twitter influencer at Queen’s Park, followed by more members of the Ontario Legislature than anyone else. (Source: Hill + Knowlton Strategies)
- TVO’s prime-time block ranks #1 among non-sports specialty stations.
- TVOKids and documentaries create high-quality jobs and trigger budgets for Ontario independent producers of $25 million each year.
- TVO is the most watched children’s television channel among children in Ontario during the TVOKids block. (Source: Numeris - All Locations Ontario Consolidated Broadcast Year 13-14 and 14-15 to March 29th 2015, 6a-7p Mon-Fri and 6a-4p Sat-Sun, amongst Ontarians 2-11 years of age)
- "Sustained viewing of educational television series, like TVOKids' Prime Radicals, can produce a significant impact on both the process of children’s mathematical problem-solving and the sophistication of their solutions." – Dr. Lynda Colgan, Queen's University
- TVO is Ontario's largest high school with almost 20,000 students at the Independent Learning Centre (ILC).
- TVO's government funding translates to the cost of a coffee and a donut per Ontarian per year.