This Statement describes the types of information TVO collects, how it is used and to whom it is disclosed.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personally identifiable information may include:
- Name, address, gender, school and grade from STUDENTS REGISTERING TO USE THE ASK A TEACHER SERVICE. This allows us to track use and popularity of the service, make improvements to the site, and withhold privileges, where warranted.
- Name, address, age and, if necessary to process payments, banking information from STUDENTS REGISTERING TO TAKE COURSES OFFERED THROUGH THE INDEPENDENT LEARNING CENTRE (the "ILC"). This helps us meet the legal requirements imposed on educational institutions, and supervise and grade correspondence courses.
- E-mail addresses and possibly, names, addresses and telephone numbers of TELEVISION VIEWERS OR WEB SITE VISITORS WISHING TO CONTACT TVO THROUGH ONE OF OUR FEEDBACK LOOPS. The nature of these queries, absent any personally identifying information, may serve as an informal content assessment tool and be summarized and circulated within the organization.
- E-mail addresses for TELEVISION VIEWERS OR WEB SITE VISITORS WISHING TO RECEIVE ELECTRONIC NOTIFICATIONS OF UPCOMING PROGRAMS OR PROGRAM TOPICS. This enables TVO to communicate by e-mail with viewers or website visitors about upcoming programs or program topics.
- Names, addresses (including e-mail address), telephone numbers and possibly, ages, of PARTICIPANTS OF SURVEYS conducted by or on behalf TVO. TVO would also collect detailed information from participants regarding their interests, preferences, occupation, and background. Such information would be used to understand needs and preferences for purposes of research and evaluation or for any other purpose as indicated by TVO from time to time. Occasionally, contact information collected from participants may be used to publicize future TVO activities.
- Names, addresses (including e-mail address), telephone numbers and ages of ENTRANTS OF CONTESTS OR DRAWS. This information is collected to ensure that contest parameters are adhered to and that TVO has a means of contacting prize winners. Occasionally, it may also be used to publicize future contests or other TVO activities.
- Names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses and, where applicable, banking information, from DONORS. This donation data is collected in order to process payments and pledges. It may be shared with TVO's exclusive fundraising partner(s) in order that it periodically contact(s) current and past donors on TVO's behalf. Donor information excluding financial information may also be traded with other charities and non-profit organizations, provided the donor does not object. Donors are given a number of opportunities to withhold consent through direct mailings or via e-mail at the time their donation is confirmed and via other solicitations they are sent throughout the year, including at renewal time.
- Names, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses and other information, from JOB APPLICANTS as provided to TVO when a job applicant applies for a job with TVO by: (i) by sending TVO a cover letter and/or resume; or (ii) by submitting a job application through a third party website. Resumes and job applications are forwarded to TVO's Human Resources department for evaluation or for consideration, as the case may be, for available positions with TVO.
In all instances where personal communication information (such as email addresses, mailing addresses, telephone numbers) is obtained, TVO (or its agents) may use this information to communicate with such persons regarding TVO-related information including, programming, publicity, news and donations. From time to time, TVO may also contact such persons and ask them to provide TVO with more detailed information regarding interests, preferences, occupation, and background. Such information would be used to understand needs and preferences for purposes of research and evaluation or for any other purpose as indicated by TVO from time to time. Any communications from TVO shall contain an opt-out provision whereby the persons communicated to may request that TVO cease all such further communications to them.
Only employees in the course of performing their duties and third parties contracted to provide services to TVO who require access to personally identifying information in order to discharge these duties or perform these services are granted access to such information. TVO only conducts business with reputable third parties whose privacy practices are in keeping with TVO's own standards, and who agree to be bound by confidentiality provisions.
TVO ensures that students, donors and others about whom personal information may be collected have a means of accessing their information. If you wish to determine whether we hold any personal information about you and/or wish to access that information, call 416.484.2665 if in the Toronto area or toll-free at 1.800.463.6886 and ask to speak with TVO's Privacy Law Officer. You may also contact us by email at email@example.com.
When the disclosure of sensitive information is required on this site, any transfer of data (for instance, during a registration process or with respect to an online pledge) is made via a secure connection, conducted within a firewall and therefore secure from outside probes, and, to the extent it is maintained by TVO, resides on TVO's secure servers.
These servers perform standard logging which permits the collection of information on ISPs and the type of browser and operating system used. Logging also allows TVO to track generic information regarding total accesses to our site.
TVO uses session and persistent cookies on its websites. Session cookies are data files temporarily installed in users' browsers to help them navigate the site. Persistent cookies, computer files stored on hard drives, are used to help measure traffic to the site. Cookies are used to enable TVO to compile statistics, and not to collect information of a personal nature. While users may disable or remove cookies, doing so may make it impossible to fully access TVO's websites.
Last updated: September 3, 2009